"When Alexa lay on her death bed, I told her, her death would not be in vain. We are going to get some answers," said Warren Brown, a Clyde resident who lost his daughter to cancer.
That was Warren's only comment, spoken in light of the EPA's recent findings of carcinogens at Whirlpool Park.
"The EPA came in and did ground water testing. They did soil testing. They did soil vapor testing," said Alan Mortensen, attorney representing some of the families in the "Clyde Children's Cancer Cluster."
The sampling found in some areas is what the EPA report describes as "mottled gray and black sludge fill material." They measured this sludge to depths of 9.5 feet, with a "petroleum odor" beneath.
The very place where locals spent countless summer days.
"On and off, I went there my whole life," said Wendy Brown, Warren's wife.
The materials that were found are known to be cancer causing carcinogens, and they are toxic. This fact officially makes this location an illegal toxic dumping ground.
They have literally just scratched the surface. This is a large site. And some additional testing has to be done," said Dustin Lance, another attorney in the case.
Whirlpool Corporation released a statement saying they have requested permission to conduct appropriate surveys from the current owner of the property, who purchased the land about five years ago, but have been denied.
"When they purchased the property, they had no idea about these contaminants," Lance said. "They've offered the property back to Whirlpool. And Whirlpool doesn't want the property back."
And though Whirlpool is a staple in the town of Clyde, the community wants answers.
"They've done a lot of good for the community. What we're concerned about is the community wasn't aware of some of the other activities that Whirlpool was involved in, that have caused substantial risk to this community and to their families," Lance said.