Fifth flu death confirmed in Lucas County
Wed, 15 Jan 2014 21:14:36 GMT —
The Toledo-Lucas County Health Department has confirmed a fifth death from influenza.
The most recent death was of a 60-year-old male from Curtice, Ohio who sought treatment at St. Charles Hospital after being diagnosed with the flu.
The county says they have seen 58 cases of individuals being hospitalized with flu symptoms since November 2013. Four of those hospitalizations have resulted in deaths of Lucas County residents.
Toledo-Lucas County Health Department
said Friday that two Toledo-area people died within the last two weeks at Toledo Hospital.
On Tuesday, Lucas County health commissioner Dr. David Grossman confirmed that two additional people died as a result of flu-related symptoms. The most recent victims include a 61-year-old Toledo woman who died Dec. 31 and a 70-year-old Lucas County resident who died late last week. Both passed away due to influenza after being treated at St. Vincent Mercy Medical Center.
Health officials across the region have said that strains of the flu are leading to severe complications for all age groups, not just the traditional high-risk groups. "This year's flu is affecting the 18-59-year-old group particularly hard, including those who are healthy and active," the Lenawee County Health Department said in a statement.
Wood County has reported 42 cases of flu this season, while in Michigan's Lenawee County, nearly 500 cases of flu have been reported, 39 of which have been confirmed by lab tests.
Health officials are urging residents to protect themselves from the flu by getting a vaccine. Lucas County will be holding special walk-in flu clinic on Wednesday, January 15 from 4-6 p.m. and Saturday, January 18 from 9 a.m. - 1 p.m. at 635 N. Erie St.