70
      Monday
      84 / 66
      Tuesday
      86 / 66
      Wednesday
      88 / 65

      Firefighter injured in blaze started by lit candles

      A Toledo firefighter was injured Wednesday evening while fighting a blaze at a home in the 5300 block of Fleet Road.

      Officials said the fire started, around 5:30 p.m., when a teen lit candles at the home and then left the property.

      A grandmother was in the home's basement, doing laundry, when the fire started.

      Authorities say when she heard "popping noises" she went upstairs to investigate and saw smoke.

      The woman called 911and a private company, with access to information from the home's smoke detectors, also called emergency dispatchers.

      While battling the smoke and flames inside the home a firefighter was burned on the neck, no one else was injured.

      The majority of the damaged caused was to the outside of the home.