66
      Saturday
      86 / 65
      Sunday
      88 / 66
      Monday
      91 / 67

      First responders get a lesson in live electricity

      <p> <font size="2">This type of training is becoming more common. It's becoming a necessity for safety.</font> </p>

      When high wind and storms cause property damage and injuries, firefighters and paramedics are usually first on the scene.And quite often, they encounter downed wires, with deadly levels of electricity still flowing through them. Firefighters do receive training about electricity, but that training is minimal.

      "Initially, in your basic fire classes, you're taught that," says Maumee Fire Chief Richard Monto.

      Area first responders got a refresher course on electricity Thursday afternoon, courtesy of Toledo Edison.

      "Many of the first responders have received training in this area, but it might be outdated training. And we may have new methods they can use," says Toledo Edison Spokesperson Chris Eck.

      Firefighters and paramedics are shown the real thing [electricity] in action.

      They learn how to use the equipment every day when encountering a live wire."It can kill you pretty quick... a matter of seconds," says Monto.

      In one example, the instructor put a hotdog on top of a rubber glove to show how it can prevent electrocution.

      One pinhole put into that same glove, and the flare was intense. The hotdog was roasted.

      The instructor demonstrated many items common to first responders that can produce deadly results without precautions.

      This type of training is becoming more common. It's becoming a necessity for safety.

      Experts says if you see a fallen wire, stay away, and call your first responders immediately.