54 / 49
      42 / 33
      44 / 29

      Helping to prevent carbon monoxide deaths

      The American Red Cross is looking to prevent another carbon monoxide tragedy.

      In the wake of the deaths of four people last month, the agency is going to be handing out free carbon monoxide detectors on Monday.

      The drive through event goes from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at The American Red Cross parking lot located at 3100 West Central Avenue. All you have to do is fill out a form and you will receive one carbon monoxide detector and one smoke detector.

      Carbon Monoxide, also known as CO, is a colorless and practically odorless gas that is poisonous to people and animals because it displaces oxygen in the blood. According to the Consumer Product Safety Commission, every year over 200 people in the United States die from CO produced by fuel-burning appliances (furnaces, water heaters, room heaters). Others die from carbon monoxide produced while burning charcoal inside a home, garage, vehicle or tent. In addition, several thousand people go to hospital emergency rooms each year for treatment for carbon monoxide poisoning.