Although America is known as the â??land of plenty,â?? as many as 1 out of every 6 Americans goes hungry. That includes almost 1 in 4 children. With so many local individuals and families struggling to make ends meet during these challenging economic times, the need is great for those who can to step in to help feed the hungry. And, many local groups are doing just that.
The Toledo Blade has been referenced in compiling this list of where and when in Toledo those in need can enjoy a free Thanksgiving meal.
1. St. Paulâ??s Community Center, 12-1:30 p.m, 230 13th St. For information, call 419-255-5520.
2. Martin Luther King Kitchen for the Poor, 12-1:30 p.m., 650 Vance St. For information, call 419-241-2596.
3. House of Bread Ministries Inc. 4:30-6:30 p.m., Bethlehem Baptist New Life Center, 1430 W. Bancroft St.
1. Cherry Street Mission, breakfast from 7:30-8:30 a.m., 4 p.m. football and snacks, 1919 Madison Ave.. For more information, call 419-242-5141.
2. Toledo Gospel Rescue Mission, breakfast from 7:30-9 a.m., 1917 Jefferson Ave. For information, call 419-241-6579.
3. Pilgrim Church, 11 a.m. - 2 p.m., 1375 Sylvania Ave. For information, call 419-478-6012.
4. Christ the King Church, 11 a.m. - 1 p.m., 4100 Harvest Lane at Monroe Street. For information, call 419-475-4348.
5. St. Joan of Arc school gym, 11:30 a.m. - 1:30 p.m., 5856 Heatherdowns Blvd. For information, call 419-861-9401.
6. Thomas Temple Church of God in Christ, 1-3 p.m., 2140 Ashland Ave. For information, call 419-320-4980.
7. Toledo Gospel Rescue Mission Outreach Center, 4-6 p.m., 670 Phillips Ave. For information, call 419-478-1005 or 419-241-6579.
1. Toledo Gospel Rescue Mission, Thanksgiving dinner following a 5 p.m. chapel service, 1917 Jefferson Ave. For information, call 419-241-6579.
1. Cherry Street Mission, 5 p.m. Community Thanksgiving Dinner, 1919 Madison Ave. For more information, call 419-242-5141.
WNWO wishes everyone in our community a safe and happy Thanksgiving.