Ohio University says student dies of meningitis
Fri, 19 Feb 2010 13:38:38 GMT —
ATHENS, Ohio (AP) - Ohio University says a student has died of complications from bacterial meningitis, and the school is now making antibiotics available to students who want them.
Eighteen-year-old freshman Andrea Robinson of Cleveland Heights died Wednesday night at a Columbus hospital. She was the third student to get infected with the disease during the current school year; two male students have recovered.
The university in Athens in southeast Ohio says it has thoroughly cleaned Robinson's dorm room and common areas in the building. It has offered students the antibiotic Cipro, though officials also are noting that bacterial meningitis does not spread easily.
In honor of Robinson, the school is flying a green university flag outside the administration building.
(Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)