Prosecution's star witness testifies in murder trial

Day 5 of the Moody Manor murder trial featured testimony from the prosecution's star witness. 21-year-old James Moore was originally charged with murder in the August 9, 2012 shooting death of 1-year-old Keondra Hooks. But in a deal with prosecutors, Moore agreed to testify against Keshawn Jennings and Antwaine Jones. Prosecutor Andy Lastra asked Moore if appearing in court today was easy for him. Moore answered "No." When Lastra asked why Moore responded, "because I love them," referring to Jennings and Jones. "Because you love them like brothers," Mr. Lastra said. "Yes," Mr. Moore replied.

Moore admitted that he drove the getaway vehicle on the night of the shooting. Moore told the court that earlier on the 9th of August a Moody Manor resident indicated that a member of a rival gang was at one of the apartments in Moody Manor. Later that evening Moore testified that himself, Jones and Jennings went to his aunt's third floor apartment in building 2229 to retrieve two guns-a 9mm handgun and a .40 caliber. Moore further testified that the individuals captured on surveillance video descending the stairs of building 2229 at 10:42 p.m. were himself, Jennings and Jones. Four minutes later 16 bullets tear through apartment 2225. Keondra Hooks was struck in the head and died the next day at St. Vincent's. Keondra's 2-year-old sister Leondra was shot in the back but survived.

Moore told the court that he told Jennings and Jones that their target was inside apartment 2217. But in an exchange with prosecutor Lastra, Moore admitted that the wrong apartment was shot.

Lastra: "When Keshawn returned to the van, what did you ask him"

Moore: "I asked him what house did they shoot at.

Lastra:" Now why did you ask him what house did they shoot?

Moore: "Because I seen them coming from the back of a house."

Lastra: "You saw them coming from the back of what house, if you know."

Moore: "2225."

In other trial news juror number 3 was dismissed for health reasons. Testimony will resume Monday at 8:30 a.m.