Putnam County fatal fire
Fri, 24 Jun 2011 11:24:43 GMT —
Putnam County Sheriff has reported a house fire that claimed a life of an elderly man.
The home located at 382 W. Findlay St. in Vaughsville was found fully engulfed Thursday with four persons inside. All occupants were removed and transported to the St. Rita TMs Medical Center. An elderly man was pronounced deceased due to injuries from the fire. Two adult women and a six year old child escaped the fire without injury.
The Ohio State Fire Marshal identified the deceased as Stanley L. Rayman, 80.
According to the fire marshal, the fire started in or around the clothes dryer. When the home's occupants heard the dryer stop without the notification sound, they investigated and discovered the fire. They then attempted to escape the home.
Fire officials say the home was equipped with working smoke detectors.
Emergency crews from Kalida, Ottoville, Columbus Grove, Pandora, Ottoville, Cairo and Putnam County assisted at the scene. As of 9:45 AM, firefighters remained on the scene, dousing hot spots in the fire. The home was a total loss.