Repairs continue on Sawyer Homestead damaged by lightning
Sun, 21 Jul 2013 23:34:12 GMT —
epairs continue on the historic
Sawyer Homestead in Monroe after a fire damaged the building early Saturday morning.
ightning struck the top of the attic around midnight- causing smoke to pour out of the roof as a fire smoldered inside.
It took firefighters about four hours to put out the blaze leaving the home with heavy water damage. The homestead organization says they're not sure yet how long it will take to repair the damage or how much it will cost.
ost of the antique furniture and historical documents inside were able to be saved.
The homestead organization says the most significant loss was several Ringling brothers circus posters that adorned the walls of the attic. Originally constructed from boxcars purchased from the circus when the home was built.