86
      Tuesday
      83 / 56
      Wednesday
      81 / 62
      Thursday
      82 / 59

      Turkey fryer causes Columbus house fire

      COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) - Authorities in Ohio say a turkey fryer caused a house to catch fire as the homeowner was preparing a Thanksgiving meal.

      Columbus firefighters who responded the scene Thursday say no one was injured.

      The turkey fryer was set up outside the house near the backdoor. Capt. Mike Zuber said a propane tank had a worn hose that caused a gas leak, sparking the blaze.

      The fire spread to a nearby wood pile and a pickup truck.

      Zuber said the homeowner, whose identity wasn't immediately released, was cooking a holiday meal. One other family member was home at the time.

      Firefighters contained the fire to the back of the two-story house. Damage was estimated at $15,000.

      (Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

      component-story-more_media_horiz-v1-01
      FOLLOW US ON TWITTER