59 / 44
      57 / 43
      65 / 43

      Dude, that's so 1995! Landline phones continue decline

      If you still have and use a landline phone in your home...you are now, officially, in the minority.

      The Centers for Disease Control, or CDC for short, recently completed a study on the possession and use of hard-wired, land-line phones.

      And for the first time, wireless use has surpassed the wired variety.

      As reported by The Consumerist...

      "The CDC estimates that more than a third (35.8%) of households are completely without landlines. Then there are the 15.9% of households that apparently use their still-connected landline as a paperweight or a reminder of days gone by. Combined, that means that 51.7% of households are effectively wireless-only. The 1.8% increase from last year pushed this group into the majority for the first time."

      If you are in the 25-29 age range...you are in the group most likely to be wireless only. 60% of people in that group live in households without land-line phones.

      Only 25.8% of people between 45 and 64 are wireless only...and a tiny 10.5% for those aged 65 and over. So, it makes a bit more sense why younger adults might still be living in houses with landline phones.

      Another interesting note from Consumerist...

      "That notion is supported by the stat showing that a whopping 75% of adults living with non-related adult roommates are wireless only. So once young adults leave home, an overwhelming majority of them are choosing to just have a cell phone in their house. Renters are also more than twice as likely as homeowners to be wireless-only (58.2% compared to 23.2%, respectively)."

      The CDC launched the study to help determine the effectiveness of telephone surveys...which it had only done with land-line phones in the past.

      As it turns out, you can get strikingly different results depending on which group you call...land-line or wireless.

      For instance, the CDC points out that if you did a survey asking adults if they have had five or more alcoholic drinks in a single day during the past year, youâ??d get remarkably different numbers if you polled only landline users (17.5% of whom would respond in the affirmative) or only wireless users (30.5% of whom answered yes to the question). Similar disparities were found on the topics of health insurance, health care, exercise, smoking and HIV testing.

      Do you still have a land-line phone? Or is your household 100% wireless?