According to NBC 24's sister station KOMO, firefighters battled the blaze and were able to extinguish it, but major damage did occur to the structure.
The man living in the home told fire authorities the fire started in the laundry room after using the lighter and spray paint in an attempt to kill the spider. He was unable to put the fire out by himself and left the home.
The total costs in damage were valued at $40,000 in repairs to the building and $20,000 for contents in the home.
KOMO did not learn if the spider survived or not.